Global Civics Leader Andrew Zimmern debuts video shorts captured at Verlasso’s farm in Patagonia during the National Restaurant Association Show in May
(Photos L-R: Verlasso in Patagonia, Andrew Zimmern, Barton Seaver)
(Patagonia, Chile; May 15, 2019) Verlasso, a premier sustainable salmon aquaculture brand from Chilean Patagonia, is hosting tastings at its booth and a demonstration on the Main Stage during this year’s National Restaurant Association Show, May 18-21, 2019, with one of the industry’s most prominent thought leaders—Andrew Zimmern (four-time James Beard Award winning TV personality, chef, producer, and author). Verlasso will also be part of the discussion at two sessions about the seafood industry where Barton Seaver (author, speaker, chef) appears as a moderator and chef.
Throughout the NRA Show, Verlasso is premiering video shorts at its booth (#10449, North Hall) featuring content captured by Zimmern and his Intuitive Content crew during a recent trip to the brand’s farm sites in Patagonia. Zimmern and his team plan to continue documenting Verlasso’s journey as the brand aims to set new standards for sustainably raised salmon worldwide and raise awareness of aquaculture done well.
Sunday, May 19
- 10:00am Barton Seaver moderates panel on “Telling the Story of Your Seafood: How to Avoid Mislabeling, Protect Your Reputation and Achieve Sustainability” (Learning Center North Hall Booth #7400)
- 1:15pm Andrew Zimmern demonstrates how to break down a whole salmon (World Culinary Showcase: Lakeside Center Booth #10357)
Monday, May 20
- 11:00am Barton Seaver at Verlasso (North Hall Verlasso Booth #10449)
- 3:30pm “Today’s Seafood Landscape” Session with Barton Seaver (Culinary Experience Center South Hall Booth #2389)
Throughout the NRA Show, attendees can visit the Verlasso booth to sample dishes including:
- Smoked Salmon on Brioche Toast Point with Cream Cheese, Dill and Chive
- Roasted Salmon over Shaved Greens with a dollop of Lemon Curd and Fried Shallots
- Roasted Salmon with Creme Fraiche and Citrus Zest
“We are part of a generation of sustainable eaters and chefs who care about where our food comes from and how it was raised, but many people lack the time to do the investigative work for themselves and the information is often confusing. As someone who has explored a lot of the world, I know that if we want to have a positive impact, we need to make sure we’re making good, sustainable choices at scale. Verlasso is an industry leader and I am excited to share their story,” says Zimmern, who has explored cultures in more than 170 countries, promoting impactful ways to think about, create, and live with food.
Since its inception in 2010, Verlasso has been known as a leader in responsible aquaculture with its ongoing sustainability commitments including:
- No Hormones
- No Preventative Antibiotics
- Traceability from egg to harvest to distributor with QR coded gill tags
- Pollutant-free waters of the Patagonia
- Spacious Pens (2 fish for every cubic ton of water)
- Nets and enclosures free of copper antifoulants and organophosphates
- Gentle Handling
- Humane Harvesting
- 3-6 month fallowing period after each harvest allowing for environmental rejuvenation
- Proprietary feed model with feeder fish trimmings from sustainable fisheries
Verlasso salmon can be found in stores, restaurants, and resorts throughout the U.S. To locate the nearest grocer or distributor, visit the Where to Buy link on the Verlasso website.
Follow Verlasso’s journey to be the most sustainably raised salmon in the world on Facebook (@Verlasso), Instagram (@Verlasso), and Twitter (@VerlassoSalmon) and with the #FollowThatSalmon.
Follow Andrew Zimmern as he documents Verlasso’s journey, via Facebook (@AndrewZimmern), Instagram (@ChefAZ), and Twitter (@AndrewZimmern).
Founded in 2010, and located in the pristine waters of Chilean Patagonia, Verlasso salmon is on a mission to be the most sustainably raised salmon in the world. Verlasso salmon was the first ocean raised salmon to receive the coveted “Yellow, a Good Alternative” recommendation from the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch ® program. Verlasso holds a 4-star BAP rating and is certified for sustainable aquaculture practices by Det Norske Veritas, an independent organization dedicated to safeguarding the environment.
ABOUT INTUITIVE CONTENT
Intuitive Content (IC) is a Minneapolis-based, full service production company whose purpose is to create impactful human content and compelling brand-focused entertainment through the vibrant and diverse lenses of food, culture and travel. IC clients include Food Network, Travel Channel, Bravo, Marriott, Caribou Coffee and its newest partner, Verlasso.
ABOUT BARTON SEAVER
Barton Seaver is on a mission to restore our relationship with the ocean, the land, and with each other—through dinner. He has translated his illustrious career as a chef into his leadership in the area of sustainable seafood innovations. Barton is a firm believer that human health depends on the health of the ocean and that the best way to connect the two is at the dinner table. Barton is the author of seven highly regarded books. His most recent book, “American Seafood: Heritage, Culture & Cookery From Sea to Shining Sea,” is an essential guide to more than 500 species, as well as a riveting history of one of our country’s most iconic industries.
For more information, contact: Heather Barbod, elemental mktg, email@example.com